Household Hazardous Waste Household Disposal Locations Wastemobile Business Hazardous Waste Waste Directory "Yellow Book" Industrial Materials Exchange (IMEX) Financial Help Report a Violator
Hazardous & Toxic Chemicals Natural Landscaping & Pesticides Environmental Justice Network EnviroStars Product Stewardship Young Children & Families Choose Safer Household Products Resources for Schools
Library Publications Translated Materials
About Us Governance and Program Structure Funding and Fees FAQs on business/multi-family rate structure


Home >> Grow Smart, Grow Safe >> Resources

   Resources >> Disposal of pesticides and fertilizers

Many lawn and garden chemicals can be harmful if improperly disposed of when no longer wanted.

Pesticide disposal

Never place unused or partially used pesticides in the garbage or down the drain.

  • Some older pesticide labels say that these products can be disposed of in the trash, this is no longer recommended, and newer labels no longer suggest it.

Take leftover pesticides to a hazardous waste disposal site.

  • All counties in Washington and Oregon have hazardous waste collection programs for unwanted pesticides.
  • These may include a permanent collection site or periodic collection events.
  • Contact your county health department, public works department or solid waste agency for hours and locations.
  • For direct contacts in specific areas, see below.

Hazardous waste disposal sites

Portland metropolitan area
Metro Recycling Information, 503-234-3000
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Saturday

In Oregon, outside Portland metropolitan area
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, 800-732-9253

Seattle and King County, Washington
Household Hazards Line, 206-296-4692 or 888-ToxicEd (888-869-4233)
9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday Email
Pesticide disposal for small businesses, 206-263-8899

Thurston County, Washington
HazoHouse, 360-786-5494 (recorded line)

Tacoma and Pierce County, Washington
Hazardous Waste Hotline, 800-287-6429

Fertilizer disposal

The best thing to do with unwanted fertilizers is

  • Use them up as directed.
  • Give them to someone who can use them.
  • Except for weed-and-feed products: these contain pesticides and should be taken to a hazardous waste collection site.



  King County - Garden Hotline
Portland, Oregon Metro Recycling
Thurston County - Common
Sense Gardening

  Report violations

Poisoning emergencies
  Portland, Oregon Metro

Local Hazardous Waste Management Program

Thurston County